Spurgeon Chapel was built in 1904 by the Lawsons as a root cellar to store some of the crops raised in the gardens: carrots, onions, potatoes, parsnips and apples. Its thick walls and minimal light kept the produce fresh for months. The smaller building next to it was used for fuel storage. It was later remodeled and furnished as a Chapel, named in honor of Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the great 19th century British preacher who served in London's Baptist Temple.
In the video below, Pastor Dennis Papp talks about his part in the restoration of Spurgeon Chapel